Can I Be Home While Having Spray Foam Installed?
The short answer is no, it is unsafe to be indoors while spray foam insulation is being applied. However, a good contractor will be able to properly inform you of everything you need to know beforehand, and the wait time might not be as awful as you think. The experts at Foam Bear Orlando will walk you through the steps so you and your family can stay safe and enjoy a well-insulated home.
Why Spray Foam Needs to Ventilate
When you look into the properties of spray foam insulation, you’ll be surprised to know that it begins as two different liquids which react to each other and create foam on the spot in an instant. More specifically, this magical mixture is made up of cellular plastic which, like anything that comes in an aerosol can such as bug spray, can occupy the surrounding air in the form of small particles. Unless you have a biohazard suit on hand, it’s better to wait for the fresh particles to ventilate and the foam to finish hardening. After the re-occupancy time suggested by your contractor, your home will be completely safe to occupy again just like normal.
What Is Reoccupancy Time?
The re-occupancy time is the amount of time you need to wait before re-entering your home. This time frame is not one-size-fits-all. There are a number of factors that are considered when calculating your particular re-occupancy time, such as:
- The quality of the spray polyurethane foam (SPF) formulation
- The current temperature at which the foam is drying
- The presence of humidity which could prolong the time it takes to dry
- The amount of foam in relation to the volume of space it is occupying
- The rate of ventilation in your home
Based on existing data, reoccupancy times can vary anywhere from one hour to 72. On average, many homeowners end up only waiting out a 24-hour cycle. If that’s the case, make a fun night out of it by staying over at a friend’s house or taking a mini-vacation!
Things Your Contractor Should Know
First off, the contractor you choose should lay out the plan for you ahead of time, so you know exactly what to expect, and that includes your reoccupancy time. They will evaluate the amount of area that needs to be covered as well as what kind of foam to use for your particular needs. A great contractor will be able to inform you of every one of these details so there won’t be any misunderstandings when it’s too late to turn back.
An expert contractor will also have no problem performing all the necessary safety procedures to ensure that everyone involved is safe. This includes:
- Ensuring that all unprotected living beings are off the premises before beginning
- Completely blocking off the area being treated to avoid surprise visitors
- Locating any potential fire starters and steering clear from them or making sure they are unplugged or turned off
- Minimizing overspray and controlling dust during installation
- Cleaning up every single little thing upon leaving to avoid any mishaps
- Informing you of proper ventilation methods to help you speed up the reoccupancy time
The Best Spray Foam Contractors In Orlando
Finding expert spray foam insulation contractors in Orlando isn’t so difficult. You need someone who is licensed, certified, and insured to protect both parties, and Foam Bear Orlando fits the bill! Give us a call today for a free estimate.